Make your own sea salt scrub
Every time I make a visit to LUSH I am reminded how much fun it is to make your own cosmetics. Here’s a really easy one you can make at home on your own with few ingredients and little time.
You will need:
- One tablespoon lemon juice
- One tablespoon vanilla extract
- Two tablespoons honey
- Half a tablespoon peppermint oil
- Half a tablespoon lavender oil
- Anything else you can think of!
Step 1: Mix the wet ingredients
Place the sauce pan on very low heat and mix the wet ingredients, starting with the olive and coconut oils.
Step 2: Cool and add sea salt
Take off of the heat and allow to cool for an hour. Mix in the sea salt until it looks like apple sauce.
Step 3: Store in container and use within a week
Depending on the ingredients you use, your scrub will be more or less perishable. Adding lavender oil increases the scrub’s shelf life, adding fresh ingredients like mashed avocados or fresh juice will decrease the shelf life of your scrub significantly. Use up your scrub in under a week!
Ideas and tips
- If you’d like to use food coloring to dye your scrub, leave out ingredients like olive oil, which have a strong color. Instead, use oils like coconut oil, shea butter and cocoa butter.
- Store the container in the fridge for a longer lasting (and more resfreshing!) scrub
- Use your scrub after soap n’ rinse, not before. Rise scrub off with only water and pat dry with a towel for super soft and moisturized skin!